Questions to Ask your Wedding Designer
If you just got engaged, or recently got married, you know that being a bride is a pretty crazy experience. Oh, and, unless you are an event planner or wedding professional, planning your wedding is kind of like showing up to your first day of work at a new job in a field you have no idea what you’re doing. Odds are that you’ve never planned an event on this scale before, and you’re probably feeling overwhelmed with picking your vendors.
If you’re planning on sending out save the dates, invitations, and even little mementos for your bridesmaids, you're likely to be looking to working with a wedding designer. But how do you choose? What questions do you ask to determine if he or she is right for you? You need to know what to ask to make sure you are choosing a wedding designer who will add that special, personal touch to your special day. We’ve got you covered, with the most important questions you need to ask your wedding designer!
I know, I know... it's a long list! Many of those answers you’ll be able to get from the designer's website so you won’t actually need to ask them, but they are things you should want to know before making a decision. Are you feeling a little less overwhelmed? We recommend pinning this to your wedding Pinterest board for you to reference later. Those vendor appointments will be coming up soon, and we hope this comes in handy!
On their Style and Approach
- How would you define your style or philosophy?
- Are your designs fully tailor-made or do you customize existing designs for my tastes?
- What makes your approach to designing invitations different from others?
Process and Pricing
- How many wedding clients do you work with at a time?
- What is your process and time frame per project?
- How long before you can start my my wedding?
- How flexible are your packages? Are there restrictions on what you will do?
- What is your pricing structure? Are things priced per piece, fixed rate, etc.?
- How many rounds of designs and changes are included?
- How much is the deposit to secure your services? When is the full balance due?
- What do you need from me to get started and when?
- Who will be working on my project? You or a junior designer on the team?
- What are your production capabilities? What print methods do you use? E.g. digital, letterpress, foil stamping, etc.
- Do you assemble and/or mail for me?
- What are my options for addressing envelopes? Printing, calligraphy, labels, etc.
- Are you able to do things like monograms or maps? how do you charge for them?
- Do you do day-of wedding designs?
- Are you able to help me with other wedding related things such as bridal shower invitations, websites, etc.?
Planning your wedding? Read more from our Wedding 101 series of posts!