Stand Out With Unique Event and Wedding Place Cards
Place cards. In my opinion, the perfect way to inject a lot of extra elegance, fun and delight into your affair, because every guest in attendance will receive one, and better yet, it will be personalized just for them. It’s a wonderful yet understated way to add a little something special.
Whether you want to stick to traditional tented place cards, or go all out on interactive pieces, the sky is the limit especially if you have a creative collaborator to help make them a reality. Here are some recent examples of place cards I’ve done for fabulous events that I hope will serve as inspiration for yours!
Classic Tented Place Cards
There are so many ways to make customize classic folded place cards for your special occasion—don’t feel like you have to stick to every day script calligraphy on white paper! Here are just a few examples (from left to right):
- Try a seldom used, but classic lettering style like decorative Blackletter calligraphy. These were done on textured ivory cards, with a beautiful black deckled (raw/torn) edge for added oomph!
- Classic white place cards with a gold engraved illustration added a special touch to these. They corresponded to white escort card envelopes.
- Try out a fancy paper like this marbled blue card with gold calligraphy!
Fun and fancy materials are all the rage these days for place cards. The great thing is that your guests can take them home as a keepsake too, so even though they will be more expensive than standard tented card there’s a little bonus! Below from left to right:
- Copper calligraphy on white selenite crystals adds an organic but elegant feel to a tablescape.
- Casual gold script calligraphy on beautiful natural Capiz shell.
- Colorful glass tiles add a pop of fun and whimsy!
- Foraged and dried leaves with white calligraphy are perfect for a fall harvest or Thanksgiving dinner.
Alternative Paper Options
If you want to stick to paper, it doesn’t mean you have to stick to traditional folded cards. Try out unique shapes, or use them as tags for gifts and think of creative ways to display them!
- Custom laser-cut aspen leaf shaped cards with a fun calligraphy script. These were made for a wedding at The Little Nell in Aspen, Colorado, and displayed in slits on real Aspen tree branches!
- Deckled edge tags with gold calligraphy, tied with gold and white twine and attached to cute bottles of limoncello. These can be used as escort cards (as they were in this picture, with the table on the reverse) or at each place setting.
- Scroll tags attached to napkins—The dimension of the curved paper adds a little special touch! Also in this image is a silk ribbon tied around the napkin with hand painted calligraphy!
Interactive Place Cards
My favorite thing to do is to create things for a party that guests will interact with and enjoy. Why not make place cards functional and fun?! Here are a few examples:
- Edible ink calligraphy on delicious macarons
- Translucent envelopes filled with colorful confetti! Perfect for a kid’s party or a super festive party!
- Engraved shot glasses (these I made for my own wedding!) that double as place cards and encourage guests to get the party started :)
Are you planning a wedding? Pop in your email below for more inspiration and tips as you go along!